Below are current job openings at First Baptist Church. Essential to each of the positions below is support of and agreement to the Mission, Vision, Strategy, and Values of First Baptist Church. To view these essentials open the first drop down menu below. To apply, or for more information please follow the directions in the postings.
Mission, Vision, Strategy and Values of First Baptist Church
The mission of First Baptist Church is to help people know, love, and become like Jesus.
Our vision summary statement is, “As we seek God, he will form us to become increasingly Christlike, and to be family to everyone who needs family.”
Our strategy is to personally and corporately grow in the three core areas of faith, love, and witness. Growth in these core areas will lead to our mission being accomplished and the results of our vision being realized in our community and around the world.
Our motivators are passionate discovery as demonstrated by an obedient desire to know God and His will, authentic relationships as demonstrated by being family to those who need family, and community transformation as demonstrated by courageous commitment to people who are without Jesus.
All of this is founded on and guided by the following values:
We are committed to Bible-based teaching and living. We believe the Bible is the authoritative Word of God, communicates what we believe, shows us how to live, and is used by the Holy Spirit to speak into our lives. As passionate followers of Jesus, we will seek to have the transforming message of the Bible permeate our lives through study and prayer. (2 Timothy 3:16)
We are committed to deepening relationships with God, fellowshipping with other believers, and reaching out to those who do not yet know Christ. We believe that our relationship with God is primary and given evidence by our relationships with one another and that loving relationships are at the center of the Gospel. As passionate followers of Jesus, we will nurture our relationship with God and cultivate relationships inside and outside of the church. (Matthew 22:37-39)
We are committed to joyfully accepting God’s gift of grace and generously extending that gift to others. We believe that people matter to God, that the church is made up of broken people saved by grace, that authenticity cannot exist without grace, and that by extending grace to others we are reflecting the very heart of Jesus. As passionate followers of Jesus, we will live authentically, meet people at their point of need and walk alongside those on the path of recovery and reconciliation. (1 John 3:16)
We are committed to becoming the individuals and the church that God desires us to be. We believe that the Holy Spirit transforms the hearts of those who seek God and intentionally live as disciples of Jesus, that as individuals are transformed into the likeness of Christ the church is also transformed, and that transformation is a lifelong journey. As passionate
followers of Jesus, we will utilize every day as an opportunity to become more like Him. (Romans 12:1-2)
We are committed to being generous with the resources we have been given. We believe that generous living is a natural byproduct of a life in transformation and that it removes obstacles for accomplishing the mission to which we have been called. As passionate followers of Jesus, we will use biblical principles to manage the time, talent and treasure God has entrusted to us and we will seek to honor God by caring for those in need.
(2 Corinthians 8:5,7)
We are committed to reaching out to the world with the message of Jesus Christ. We believe this work starts locally with our neighbors, expands regionally, and extends globally. As passionate followers of Jesus, we will reach out to the world by praying continuously, trusting fully, giving sacrificially, serving faithfully, and going confidently.
(2 Corinthians 5:18-19, Matthew 28:19-20)
Job Description: Associate Pastor of Care and Outreach
Status: Full-time, Salaried
About This Role
The Associate Pastor of Care and Outreach oversees, resources, and supports the ministries of the church which emphasize evangelism, outreach, care, and meeting spiritual, physical, emotional, and relational needs within the congregation and community.
A primary focus will be recruiting, developing, supporting, and resourcing volunteer ministry leaders and teams who lead our local and global outreach ministries, hospitality ministries, care and compassion ministries, visitation ministries, and ministry to senior adults.
In addition to resourcing and supporting volunteers to carry out these ministries, this person will oversee the Community Care Coordinator, a part-time staff member who is responsible for leading the teams which manage benevolent giving and other requests.
The Associate Pastor of Care and Outreach will use skills in organization, pastoral care, communication, and a heart of compassion to provide leadership to these areas within our church. By modeling Christlike character and a heart of mercy and compassion for others, the Associate Pastor of Care and Outreach builds a strong culture of mercy, care, love, and outreach in staff and volunteers to advance the Mission and Vision of First Baptist Church, with a particular focus on our congregation being family to those who need family.
Primary Responsibilities and Tasks
Visitation and Ministry to Senior Adults
- Recruit, train, lead, and support the visitation ministry teams.
- Recruit, train, lead, and support the senior adult ministry teams.
- Visit and make calls to those in the church who need pastoral care with a heavy emphasis on ensuring our senior adults are well cared for.
- Attend events where senior adults are present and build connections and provide care for senior adults within the church.
Outreach and Evangelism
- Recruit, train, and support lay leadership teams to facilitate local community outreach opportunities and encourage the congregation to participate in them in order to meet needs, create a favorable impression of Christ and His people within the community, and create openings to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.
- Support and resource the leaders of our Global Outreach team including acting as a liaison between staff and the GO Team.
- Offer ongoing training and equipping for the congregation in personal evangelism skills and experiences.
- Exhibit and foster a heart of compassion and commitment to prayer for lost people and Spirit-led opportunities to share the Gospel.
- Recruit, train, and support ministry teams with an emphasis on the Sunday morning guest experience including Door Hosts, Welcome Center, Café, and Ushers.
- Follow up with guests and help them connect with a next step in their discipleship journey and integration into the First Baptist family.
- Manage data and processes related to guests.
- Plan and execute guest-related events.
Care and Compassion Ministries
- Recruit, train, and support the leadership teams who give direct leadership to ministries such as GriefShare, DivorceCare, New Pathways, and Celebrate Recovery.
- Encourage and help train members of the congregation to actively serve in these need-meeting ministries.
- Develop and oversee ministry budgets in areas under direct supervision or oversight.
- Participate in Pastoral Leadership Team.
- Preach 2-6 times per year or as needed.
- Be part of the emergency cell phone and community care intake rotations.
- Oversee Community Care Coordinator.
- Provide support and help make decisions for unique situations that may arise
- Do an annual review
Strengths & Skillset
- Strong pastoral care, leadership, mercy, and leader/team development skills.
- Deep love, compassion, and commitment to pray for people in need and those who have not yet placed their faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior.
- Spiritual gifts that fuel strong leadership and supernatural fruit within this ministry role.
- Strong communicator which helps motivate others toward action and growth.
- A good “team player” and team builder with experience in supervising, motivating, and encouraging others.
- Able to keep calm under pressure and respond in a measured way in stressful situations.
- Conducts life with the utmost integrity in all situations.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Able to set realistic goals and targets and to find a work/life balance that is sustainable in the long-term.
- A demonstrated ability to work with senior adults and have compassion toward their unique challenges in life and faith.
- Effective communicator and self-starter.
- Ability to train others and develop and lead teams.
- Highly effective written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Vibrant and growing personal faith in Jesus Christ. This is the most important thing in this and any pastoral role at First Baptist Church!
- Model a deepening prayer life and be a champion of prayer within the congregation.
- Firm commitment to the mission, vision, values, and statement of faith of FirstBaptist and sympathetic and cooperative with Converge Worldwide and Converge North Central.
- Experience and/or training in pastoral care and visitation.
- Experience and/or training in leading teams.
- Experience and/or training in developing and equipping volunteer leaders.
- Proven experience in volunteer recruiting and management.
- Experience with effective written and spoken communication.
- Bachelor’s degree in Bible, Ministry, Theology, Leadership or commensurate ministry experience and training required. Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
This position reports to the Lead Pastor and is part of the Pastoral Leadership Team.
This position is a part of the staff leadership team and supervises the Community Care Coordinator. Additionally, this position supports, resources, and if needed, supervises volunteer discipleship ministry leaders.
This is a full-time, salaried staff member who can expect to work 40-45 hours per week. Evening and weekend visits or meetings as needed, with Sunday morning and Wednesday night ministry participation required. Regular office hours are to be established and held as well as attendance at Tuesday morning staff meetings.
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with a position of this nature and the education, experience, and qualifications will be offered to the final candidate.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to the search committee chair Dr. Paul Sanders at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Ministries Associate- Jr. High
30 hours per week
First Baptist Church is located in Cambridge, MN and is a member of Converge. God has given First Baptist the mission of helping people know, love and become like Jesus. This simple phrase is the backbone of all that we do. Today, First Baptist’s mission is lived out through our 2025 Vision. God has laid the vision on our hearts that as we seek God, He will form us to become increasingly Christ-like and to be family to everyone who needs family. First Baptist is a church of 300-500 that gather each Sunday for worship and study of God’s Word as passionate followers of Jesus with numerous other ministries and groups meeting during the week. It is well known in the community for its generosity and for its student ministries, particularly on Wednesday nights. Our Jr. and Sr. High Youth Group sees around 75 students gather weekly (generally meeting as separate ministry groups) and we look forward to bringing a team member on board who will passionately share Jesus with students, emphasizing ministry to middle school students in the area.
The Student Ministries Associate – Jr High will report to the Pastor of Children and Student Ministries (Ashley Carlson).
Personal Characteristics Desired:
- A committed Christ follower, demonstrating spiritual and personal maturity in their faith and life
- Regularly practicing personal spiritual disciplines such as Scripture study and prayer
- Has a love of students in 6th-12th grade, with a particular passion for middle school students in 6th-8th grade (Jr. High), and has a strong desire to help them know, love, and become like Jesus
- Ability to provide engaging, dynamic, and high-energy up-front leadership and teaching to students, and has good verbal communication skills to engage large groups
- Willing to learn and put into practice creative and engaging teaching methods for middle school students
- Has ability to build rapport and trust with parents of students and has good communication skills with adults
- Willingness to listen, receive feedback, adjust, be a team player, and work closely with the Student Ministries Associate of Sr. High, volunteers, and other staff to provide excellent ministry to students
- Humble, team player who is willing to learn, and desires to grow in ministry abilities through a mentoring relationship with the Pastor of Children and Student Ministries
- Comfortable recruiting, training, encouraging, and equipping adult volunteers
- Comfortable working with students in crisis and/or families in need
- Self-motivated and able to use time effectively
- Abilities in event planning for large groups of students
- An ability to relate well and work with students in 6th-12th grade and their parents, with particular strengths geared toward working with middle school students
- An ability to relate well and lead adult volunteers
- A personal, growing relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
- A significant understanding of God’s Word and an ability to teach the Bible to large groups of students
- Demonstrates integrity in all areas of life and ministry
- In agreement with the First Baptist statement of faith and willing to adhere to our policies and procedures
- Has gifts in teaching, leading, shepherding with a heart of compassion and a desire to share the gospel and disciple students
- 2+ years of experience serving or working with students in a leadership capacity
- Completed or pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field preferred
Responsibilities of Student Ministries Associate – Jr. High (30 hours / week):
- Lead efforts in fulfilling the mission of First Baptist Church in Jr. High: “Helping People know, love, and become like Jesus”
- Lead efforts in fulfilling the vision of First Baptist Church in Jr. High: “As we seek God, He will form us to become increasingly Christ-like and become family to those in need of family”
- Plan and lead Wednesday night Youth Group and Sunday morning Community Group ministries for the Jr. High Guest leaders and teachers may be recruited to occasionally assist with up front teaching responsibilities
- Plan and lead special events and retreats for Jr. High students monthly or every-other month and be willing to occasionally attend events and retreats for Sr. High students
- Be willing to assist with churchwide events where students may be serving as volunteers
- Work with Student Ministries Associate of Sr. High to plan combined activities and programs between Jr. High and Sr. High students
- Engage in relational ministry contact work with students outside of church programs
- Mentor 1+ Jr. High student on a regular basis
- Give leadership to small group Bible studies such as the Jr. High Student Leadership Team
- Provide spiritual care to Jr. High students when needed, understanding the need to refer care to professional counselors when applicable
- Recruit, equip and train adult volunteers to be effective youth leaders within the Jr. High
- Communicate with students, parents, volunteers, and other leaders on a regular basis
- Be willing to seek training opportunities and conferences to continue to grow as a minister to students
- Take part in staff meetings, planning meetings, and work with other staff and leadership teams of First Baptist. Participation is preferred in Tuesday morning all-staff meetings and is expected in a weekly Student Ministries staff team meeting
- Work with the Pastor of Children and Student Ministries to determine the best 30-hour per week work schedule. As a 30-hour per week job, it is understood this schedule will need to be flexible around your needs. Some daytime office hours will be required
- Personally invest in the mission and vision of First Baptist Church
- Be an active participant in the life and ministry of First Baptist Church
A salary in the range of $25,000-$32,000 commensurate with a position of this nature will be offered to the candidate based in part on years of experience and education.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Ashley Carlson, Pastor of Children and Student Ministries, at email@example.com. Questions can be directed to Ashley Carlson. Application deadline is MAY 31, 2022.
Student Ministries Associate - Jr. High Job Description - PDF